DIY Moss Topiaries

 

IMAG1206

In an effort to bring the outdoors in (sans insects) and add a little color to my bedroom, I decided to give these DIY Moss Topiaries a try. I found them a while back on a blog that I follow and you can get the instructions here.

You will need the following:

  • Styrofoam topiary form
  • Terracotta pot
  • Packaged moss
  • Hot glue gun/glue

IMAG1036

In the blog I followed, she suggested using the moss that comes in little squares and cutting them up and gluing them on, but I think using the loose moss might be a bit easier. But I used the sheet moss so what do I know.

IMAG1035

Basically I just cut various sized pieces of the moss and hot glued them on the styrofoam balls so it would look natural and messy. Don’t forget to cover the base in moss as well.

IMAG1034

Then I painted the pots with some acrylic paint to go along with my color scheme and that was that.

IMAG1038

The link above provides more in depth instructions if you want to try this out yourself but they are a great spring/summer addition for home décor! 

IMAG1211  IMAG1215 copy

IMAG1208 copyI also made these little canvases just by messily painting strokes of various yellows. For each stripe I added a little white or a little gray (which is how I accidentally ended up with green-oops! Guess I missed the “mixing colors” day in art class in 7th grade.)

IMAG1214 copy

 

IMAG1205 copy  

signature 2

Chrysanthemum Mirror

Chrysanthemum Mirror DIY

finished

In my opinion, Pinterest has changed the crafting world forever. I’m not much of an innovator, but I sure can recreate awesome ideas that I find online. For instance, I found this chrysanthemum mirror made out of PLASTIC SPOONS that I adore and finally decided to plunge into this project.

Here are the “ingredients” I used to complete this cute little number.

– 4 boxes of 45ish plastic spoons

– cardboard

– hot glue/hot glue gun

– utility knife

– dollar store mirror

– paint brush/cheap acrylic paint of your color choice

To begin, I found something large and circular (my laundry hamper) to trace for the base of the cardboard. I also cut a smaller hole that’s not shown in this photo out of the center of my cardboard circle so that I could insert my mirror.

cardboard circle

Next, I cut the handles of the spoons off so I would just have the nice rounded part. I had intended to use scissors for this, and it is possible, but ready yourself for hand cramps and a slow process. Luckily, I have Mr. Fix-It for a dad, so he gave me this monster of a tool to make this step easier. I believe this tool’s intended function is to cut metal, so plastic spoons were a cinch.

plyers        spoon

I was then ready to start hot gluing the spoons onto the cardboard by doing one circle at a time.

 partially done

When I was finished with the spoons, I hot glued the back edge of the mirror and plopped it into the center hole to serve as the middle of my “chrysanthemum flower.”

all attached

After all of these steps, I was FINALLY ready to begin painting. Now let me tell you, this is no quick craft. I think I spent approximately 6 hours on this bad boy (however, the Golden Globes were on and may have distracted me at times, so I didn’t mind working so long on the painting process). What took what seemed like days to finish was the painting because the spoons didn’t take the paint very well, so it took about 3 coats per round of spoons. I began with the original acrylic paint color in the center and for each row I simply added a little white to make the color fade out. And ta-da! I am really in love with the way it turned out and I think it will look adorable hanging on my wall. All for less than $10. Woohoo! Happy crafting!

finished

                                                                                                   signature

Past Projects (home decor on a budget)

I have completed a few crafty projects recently that I thought I would share to possibly inspire you to channel your inner Martha Stewart.

First off, I came across a shower curtain at Marshalls for $15 that I had absolutely no use for because I already had a one, but I just loved the print so I couldn’t pass it up. So to keep myself from feeling frivolous and like a pack-rat, I decided to break out the sewing machine. I simply cut the shower curtain in half and put a seam on the sides and presto. New window panels for $7 apiece.

curtain

Next, I wanted to recover some old pillows but couldn’t find the right fabric. One day while at Michaels Craft Store I stumbled across a set of Martha Stewart stencils (you might pick up on the fact that I REALLY love Martha Stewart) and craft paint that can be used on fabric, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make the pillows look the way I wanted. I made two different pillows using the design and color schemes of my desire.


yellow pillow w other pillows       stencil

yellow pillow

white pillow w designs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I guess what I learned from these projects was to not let myself be held back by finding decor that fit just right, but to figure out a way to make it what I loved, and save a few bucks along the way!

bed

                                                                    signature