Chrysanthemum Mirror

Chrysanthemum Mirror DIY

finished

In my opinion, Pinterest has changed the crafting world forever. I’m not much of an innovator, but I sure can recreate awesome ideas that I find online. For instance, I found this chrysanthemum mirror made out of PLASTIC SPOONS that I adore and finally decided to plunge into this project.

Here are the “ingredients” I used to complete this cute little number.

– 4 boxes of 45ish plastic spoons

– cardboard

– hot glue/hot glue gun

– utility knife

– dollar store mirror

– paint brush/cheap acrylic paint of your color choice

To begin, I found something large and circular (my laundry hamper) to trace for the base of the cardboard. I also cut a smaller hole that’s not shown in this photo out of the center of my cardboard circle so that I could insert my mirror.

cardboard circle

Next, I cut the handles of the spoons off so I would just have the nice rounded part. I had intended to use scissors for this, and it is possible, but ready yourself for hand cramps and a slow process. Luckily, I have Mr. Fix-It for a dad, so he gave me this monster of a tool to make this step easier. I believe this tool’s intended function is to cut metal, so plastic spoons were a cinch.

plyers        spoon

I was then ready to start hot gluing the spoons onto the cardboard by doing one circle at a time.

 partially done

When I was finished with the spoons, I hot glued the back edge of the mirror and plopped it into the center hole to serve as the middle of my “chrysanthemum flower.”

all attached

After all of these steps, I was FINALLY ready to begin painting. Now let me tell you, this is no quick craft. I think I spent approximately 6 hours on this bad boy (however, the Golden Globes were on and may have distracted me at times, so I didn’t mind working so long on the painting process). What took what seemed like days to finish was the painting because the spoons didn’t take the paint very well, so it took about 3 coats per round of spoons. I began with the original acrylic paint color in the center and for each row I simply added a little white to make the color fade out. And ta-da! I am really in love with the way it turned out and I think it will look adorable hanging on my wall. All for less than $10. Woohoo! Happy crafting!

finished

                                                                                                   signature

Advertisements

Gender Reveal Box

My cousin, Jarrah, is one of my dearest friends, so when she told me that she was pregnant I was thrilled. Since she knows my love for crafting, she asked me to decorate her gender reveal box for when she and Matt found out if they were having a boy or girl. I was obviously all over it, researching ideas and making a design immediately. I think it turned out really adorable and the gathering was a huge success!

                        j and m                      box

To decorate the box, I painted it with a primer and then drew on the design with a pencil. I painted over it with acrylic paint from Walmart, a very small paint brush, and a lot of patience. To top it off, I made a “Boy or Girl” burlap garland, poked holes in the box and attached the string to the inside of the box to hold the garland in place. It was a somewhat easy project, very inexpensive and the couple was pleased, so it was all worthwhile.

And FYI, they were BLUE BALLOONS! It’s a boy! Congrats Matty and Gia!

signature

Past Projects (home decor on a budget)

I have completed a few crafty projects recently that I thought I would share to possibly inspire you to channel your inner Martha Stewart.

First off, I came across a shower curtain at Marshalls for $15 that I had absolutely no use for because I already had a one, but I just loved the print so I couldn’t pass it up. So to keep myself from feeling frivolous and like a pack-rat, I decided to break out the sewing machine. I simply cut the shower curtain in half and put a seam on the sides and presto. New window panels for $7 apiece.

curtain

Next, I wanted to recover some old pillows but couldn’t find the right fabric. One day while at Michaels Craft Store I stumbled across a set of Martha Stewart stencils (you might pick up on the fact that I REALLY love Martha Stewart) and craft paint that can be used on fabric, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make the pillows look the way I wanted. I made two different pillows using the design and color schemes of my desire.


yellow pillow w other pillows       stencil

yellow pillow

white pillow w designs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I guess what I learned from these projects was to not let myself be held back by finding decor that fit just right, but to figure out a way to make it what I loved, and save a few bucks along the way!

bed

                                                                    signature